Are You a Re-reader?
I LOVE rereading some of the books on my keeper shelf. Recently, I was amazed to discover during a conversation with a friend and avid reader that she never rereads books–even those she adored. “There are so many books,” my friend said, “why would I reread one I’ve already read?”
There are so many reasons!
- I may have forgotten more about the book than the basic plot.
- Sometimes, I may have forgotten the plot.
- I may have forgotten what it was that made me love the book so much that I had to keep it.
- Rereading a favorite book allows me to not rush through the chapters in search of ‘what happens next’ and enjoy the prose.
- I discover new aspects of the book I never realized were there before.
- If it’s a favorite author, I can plot his/her growth as an author.
- Figuring out what I love about a book helps me become a better writer.
- I can fall in love with the book all over again!
My friends still wasn’t convinced, but I hold firm in my enjoyment of rereading favorite books. What about you? Do you reread? If so, why? If not, why not?