Daily Archives: September 9, 2015
Are you familiar with the seven chakras, which are the body’s energy centers, and are rooted in ancient Eastern religion? Meditating on and giving conscious awareness to them, regularly, creates a fullness of self and healthy being, as well as promotes stronger spirituality. It might sound hokey, but it’s true. Cross my heart chakra and hope to die.
Here’s a quick intro.
(These names may vary from source to source, and the descriptions of the life aspects and abilities they affect are my own, derived from what I’ve learned and how I’ve come to embrace them for myself.)
(1) root chakra — base of trunk — connection to the earth; a feeling of “home” and comfort, grounding, no matter where you find yourself
(2) sacral chakra — low belly — insight and understanding, especially in relation to others
(3) solar plexus chakra — upper abdomen, just beneath the rib cage — relaxation, competency, without worry
(4) heart chakra — behind the breastbone — warmth, openness, compassion, gratitude
(5) throat chakra — throat — confidence and a strong voice, self-expression (your truths)
(6) third eye chakra — that space between your eyes — vision and empathy
(7) crown chakra — crown of head — connection to God and the Universe; personality, perception, intuition
Do you have a few minutes? Are you in a peace-filled spot? Read through those again, study the diagram. Consciously find each center in your body (do this mentally — unless it helps to physically touch your brow or your breastbone, etc., no one’s looking) and imagine clarity. Impress upon yourself strength in each of the described capacities.
It was more than a year ago now that I first began studying the chakras, and actively unleashing, so to speak, the calm power they hold. I find that when I’m especially anxious or unfocused, and feel like life and my peace are out of alignment, a few minutes in meditation brings me back.
There’s a rich awareness, a whole spirituality, a fullness in the universe and God’s control to be found when you can give over negativity, doubt, fear, whatever holds you back or consumes your life, to these energy centers.
I’d like to challenge you to seek renewal in this way, and find for yourself — it’s gonna sound hokey again — the benefits that come from chakra awareness.
But don’t do it for me. Do it for yourself!
If you’re interested, here’s a related post I wrote on my Woman, Determined blog last spring. That’s when I recognized the harmonies between the long-established Eastern chakras and Gary Zuvak’s book, The Heart of the Soul: Emotional Awareness.